Experiment gone wrong, 13 school students inhale iodine gas


Experiment gone wrong. -Pix from Facebook Fire and Rescue department, Penang


By Huzraifah Atikah

It was utter chaos at a school in Bayan Lepas, Penang today when a science experiment went wrong.

Unaware of what had happened many thought there was a gas leak while others thought there was some sort of an explosion. Only later it was found out that it was a science experiment gone wrong.

In the incident,13 students were affected after inhaling iodine gas in the school’s laboratory in Bayan Lepas, Penang.

A spokesman from the Fire and Rescue Department said the affected students were in a stable condition, with only one sent to Penang Hospital for treatment.

State Environment Committee chairman Phee Boon Poh said the Form Four students were conducting an experiment involving iodine when the incident happened.

“Iodine was heated during the experiment to test its chemical reaction. As there was insufficient ventilation in the laboratory, around 20 students who were in class experienced breathing difficulties and started coughing,” he said.

It was earlier reported that 17 students had been hurt in a chemical explosion and leak, with another 70 affected by the fumes. 

The school was earlier placed on red alert with paramedics and the Fire and Rescue Department rushing to the scene.