Guess what caused hundreds to be evacuated from Australian library?


The 'gas leak' caused people to be evacuated the building-Pix from Google


By Huzraifah Atikah

About 550 people had to be evacuated from the University of Canberra, Australia, library after reports of a strong smell of gas last Friday afternoon.

Fire firefighters were rushed to the scene to help find the source of the gas smell and the city’s emergency services said HAZMAT crews also conducted atmospheric monitoring.  

About an hour later, the firefighters completed a search of the building and the source of the smell was finally discovered. 

However, the funny part is that it was not a gas leak at all!

The University of Canberra Library posted an update on their official Facebook page that says:


The suspected gas leak turned out to be a durian and the offending fruit has now been removed!


Phew, at least everyone is safe, right? 

Well, this is not the first time that this thing has happened. 

Last year, a rotting durian left at the library of the Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology, also caused about 500 students and teachers to be evacuated. 

So, what do you think of this news? Do you think maybe Australians need to at least try to smell durian once in their lifetime?